September 11, 2020
Amelia and JP are living the unconventional life in a small beach town in Ecuador. They are also this week’s podcast interview. We dive into what brought them to this part of South America. It is certainly a familiar theme with most travelers and ex-pats. I absolutely enjoyed this interview and they are just as pleasant as they seem to be. Listen to their fascinating story, and how they are adjusting to life in Olon, along with the cost of living and how they are helping others achieve the dream.
Living The Beach Life In Ecuador With Amelia & JP
It’s always nice to meet kindred spirits, even if only virtually. I had been following Amelia and JP through their very popular YouTube channel and it was nice to finally be able to chat with them. The conversation flowed nicely since we had so much in common. Leaving America for greener pastures. A new place that offers a more relaxed way of life, and at a more reasonable cost. What’s not to love?
Their research led them to Ecuador, so they went for a visit, and quickly realized it would be their new home. Back to America to sell up it was!. First stop was in the big bustling city of Cuenca, and now in the small beach town of Olon where they are enjoying getting to know the locals, and loving the company of their two dogs. The fact that they are able to work online from anywhere with a good wifi connection is perfect for their lifestyle.
Highlights of loving beach life in Ecuador include:
- Why they chose Ecuador for their ex-pat life.
- Their jobs and Amelia being able to transition to working at home for the same company.
- What made them decide to leave the U.S. and JP’s health problems.
- The healthcare in Ecuador, and comparing it to America.
- What they miss most about the U.S.
- Landing in Cuenca and loving it.
- Why they left Cuenca for Olon.
- Adjusting to small-town living in the beach town.
- Transportation in a small town.
- How the coronavirus affected their lives upon arrival.
- Safety in Ecuador, as a whole, and in Olon.
- Finding restaurants that cater to their vegetarian lifestyle.
- What amenities they miss most.
- Getting to know the neighbors.
- How their Spanish is progressing, and what JP would like to do to the person who decided it was a good idea to assign gender to Spanish objects! 🙂 . I agree totally. I would love to do the same …. haha!
- Advice for anyone thinking of making the move to Ecuador, and what they must bring.
Listen to the show here, on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and other listening apps. Don’t forget to subscribe.
You can get in touch with Amelia and JP via:
Their live abroad website and
On their YouTube channel where you can follow their unconventional lives.
Other podcasts of interest:
I love the fact that Amelia and JP decided to make a break for it so to speak. In their words “if we can do it, you can too”. I think the older l get, the more I realize that life is not guaranteed to anyone and it’s better to try things while you can. Oh, and guess what? good health is not guaranteed either.
I also love the fact that they have not only embraced their new lifestyle, but they also have become part of the community. Realizing how a lot of their neighbors were hurting thanks to the pandemic, they spearheaded a drive to collect donations such as food and money for those in need through their YouTube channel. That is very commendable. You can see some of the activities on videos on the channel, and make sure to subscribe.
How about you dear readers? Any plans for travel, either vacation or your very own carefully orchestrated jailbreak from wherever you are?