Yeah!!!! My very first award :-) . My little old blog is 8 months old and l am slowly getting into the groove. I was so delighted to receive this versatile blogger nomination from both Greg at travelbluebook and Calin and romaniaexperience. ! I wonder if l can count it as two awards.. :-) :-) ??? In case you are unfamiliar with this blogging award, allow me to enlighten you. It is meant to expose more people to up and coming blogs. The rules are to disclose 7 things that people might not know about you, have a link back to the person who nominated you, and you in turn nominate other blogs that you enjoy reading. Paying it forward so to speak. Here are my list of little known things:
1) I am one of twelve children. Yep..12! We always said it was a football team and a reserve. There are 3 boys and 9 girls. My father had two wives (polygamy is part of my culture). My mom had 8, 2 boys and 6 girls. I am her last girl and the peacemaker.
2)My favorite food is plantain. It is a tropical/Latin food. It looks like a big banana. I love it fried when it’s ripe. That is my favorite way. It can also be boiled (wonderful with peanuts), fried when green (Puerto Rican tostones), combined with honey and baked etc… That was one of my nicknames. Apparently when l was younger and cried, the only thing l would ask for “dodo” to get me to stop crying. That hasn’t changed :-) .
3) I started high school one month after my 10th birthday!. I started college one month after my 15th birthday and graduated two months before my 20th birthday. l could not legally drink during my college years, and l didn’t care to either. I loved my virgin piña coladas!!!
4) At the height of the boom, my husband and l had in rental properties, 2 houses, and 4 condos that were rented. We also had 2 houses that we were flipping (rehabbing and reselling for profit). Then all hell broke loose. The recession happened, a lot of the renters stopped paying due to job losses, etc. We ended up losing the biggest house to a pre foreclosure short sale. This is where the bank agrees to a lesser amount than owed and forgives the rest of the debt. That recession hurt a lot… It contributed to a lot of our debt and took years to get to positive. We are now down to 2 rental properties and will probably sell the last condo when the tenant decides to move. I was stubborn and kept throwing good money after bad, and it took my husband like 2 years to convince me to let go. Nice profit overall, but it could have been handled better. To all potential landlords, be careful what you wish for.. I could write a book :-(
5) I wrote a book! A novel called “Dale in the City”. It’s available on amazon in case you’re curious. It’s one of the most satisfying things I’ve ever done. It took a long time to write, and l am very proud of myself for wanting to and for actually doing it. Whenever l receive my few cents, literally cents royalty checks, l am happy. Now go buy it! :-) . It’s on kindle too!!!!!
6) I love action movies. Movies like Shooter, Transporter, Expandables would be in my top 10. I actually want to start a section devoted to my favorite movies on the blog. Chow Yun-Fat in “The Killer” has got to be the best movie ever..ever!
7) Losing one of my sisters to cancer really affected me. I lost my father years ago to cancer as well. I was the only one with both of them out of the whole family when they passed due to really weird circumstances. One of my sisters made me feel better by saying maybe it was supposed to happen like that. I have always been the cheeriest Pollyanna, and maybe it was a nice transition for them to be with me. I hope so. That convinced us to step our plans for early retirement and travel. Life really is too short.
Now, here are my nominees:
Raquel at practicalcents.com
Singlemomsincome.com with Alexa
Geekyexplorer.com with Bruno
Rachael at safari254.com
Tonya at budgetandthebeach.com
Make sure you check out these really cool blogs, and thanks once again to Greg and Calin for this versatile blogger award! I have also been nominated for a Liebster award by Victoria at thebritishberliner. That deserves a post of it’s own. Thanks everyone. I am humbled that you read this little old blog..why..l am overcome with emotion, l do declare.. any Oscar for that? :-) :-) :-)